Safe Sitter® Heroes
"Thank Goodness for Little Sisters!"
This is what a very grateful Amberlye, 13, said after her
younger sister, Brigid, 11, saved her life.
The two girls took Safe Sitter® together at their local hospital
in Missouri, where their mother is a nurse.
Just four days later, both girls got a scary glimpse of how a
situation may have turned out differently had it not been for their
Safe Sitter® training.
The girls were home with their mother, who was in the living
room. Amber was in the kitchen enjoying an apple while
waiting for a call from a friend.
Amber, startled by the ringing phone, began to choke on a large
piece of the fruit. It was lodged in her throat preventing
her from talking or breathing.
"I started to panic," Amber said. Brigid, who had been
walking by, noticed her sister putting her hands to her throat to
show the choking sign. She also saw that Amber's lips were
blue. It was at that moment that Brigid knew she needed to
perform abdominal thrusts.
"The apple popped out on the first thrust. I just knew I
needed to save my sister's life," said Brigid. "I knew to
stay calm and not to panic. Safe Sitter® taught me what to do."
After the scary event, Brigid told her mother who,
understandably, was very proud.
"I'm so glad Brigid came into the kitchen at that time!"
Amber said. "As the older sister, I take care of my younger
sister. But, that day, she came to my rescue. She saved
my life. The skills we learned in Safe Sitter® saved me!"